Monday, February 15, 2010

Time is running out

Several months ago, I got into a really great exercise routine. I got up each and every day and worked out on my exercise bike...pumping through mile after mile. I would sit then go through reps with free weights as well as other strengthening exercises. It was great and after a short period of time, I started to see results.

I do not remember what happened, but after keeping up this routine for a certain amount of time, I quit....quit, quit.....never to do again. Muscle returned to fat...jeans got tighter.

I am currently in the planning stages for our upcoming Spring Break trip as well as plans for our summer and it occured to me that both of these things are coming up FAST. Spring Break is under a month away and summer will sneak up quickly after...and I look in the mirror and do not like what I see.

So, yesterday I made the decision....I am getting back in the saddle (or on the bike seat) and getting back in shape again. This time, I am giving myself goals and am going to try my best to post on here as a sort of journal...we'll see how long THAT lasts.

My weight loss/toning will have to be exercise based only. I am not a dieter....never have been. I do not count calories and abhor diet foods. My entire life, until a few years ago, I could eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and not gain a pound. This is a HARD habit to break. I cannot do the 5 small meals a day thing that so many nutritionists and diets call for...I am not a snacker. I do not like yogurt, popcorn, crackers, granola, granola bars. I just do not eat in between meals.....unless there is a bowl of chocolate candy on the island like there is now (day after Valentine's day and all).



My diet really isn't that bad. I tend to eat a good breakfast of oatmeal with just a touch of brown sugar or Cheerios or an egg. Lunch can be difficult for me...but I usually do not eat much there. Dinner, I try to make things that are not too bad. My main downfall is dessert. I LOVE dessert and I love the homey feeling that comes from having dessert in the house. I just need to limit myself on that...

But, the main thing is just to get my heart pumping and to get my body to start burning some calories and fat. I am pretty sure I can do it.

So, here are the facts. I just weighed myself and I was a bit surprised to see that I weigh 132 pounds. The goal I set for myself last night was to get down to 130 by Spring Break....maybe I can make that goal sooner!!! My ultimate goal will be to get down to 122-125. Doesn't seem like a lot, I know...but it really seems to be difficult. I would also like to go down a couple sizes.

I know some people reading this may say they have little sympathy for me in these goals as they battle losing more weight and that is fine. You have to understand where I am coming from. My whole life, I have been thin. Before Sierra, I weighed about 110 pounds. After she was born, I battled my weight for a year or two, but got back down to about 115-120 and was happy with that. I am well aware that I am lucky to only need to lose about 10 pounds....

I wonder why weight has to be such an issue. I would often get insults for being thin and not have to work at staying thin... I never insulted anyone for being overweight. Even now, as I tell people how I am trying to lose some weight, I get scoffed at. Were I 20 pounds heavier, I would be praised.

But, this is my goal....my endeavor.

So....Day One

I weighed in at 132 pounds.
Goal 1 is to get down to 130 pounds.

This week, I will attempt to go at least 5 miles each day on my bike...starting at the lowest setting. By Wednesday, my goal is to be up to level 2 for at least half the 5 miles. I will also begin to tone my arms with free weights as well as try to get some ab work in (I am unable to do crunches due to my jaw and neck problems).

By the time we leave on our Spring Break trip to North Carolina on March 11 or 12, I hope to be down to 130 and to begin to see muscle tone and tighter buns and abs.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

ChrissyK said...

Good Luck!

I think you will be surprised how fast you can lose two pounds. I hate to say it and you will hate to hear it... you will prob lose the 2 pounds if you just didnt do the dessert for a week. yup... i said that. :o( But the toning comes from your exercise. You'll do great!

I am sad reading your blog... usually at this time I am thinking the same thing about exercising and getting into smaller, cuter clothes and being tan. Not this summer tho, otherwise you will see one big fat tan preggo walking down the street. hehe Maybe next year.

Scoop said...

Good for you for setting goals, and realistic ones at that. And for puttin it out there to be held accountable.

I am so with you. I've never been overweight either, but man I just cannot induldge like I used to without any consequences! I agree, exercise is the key. I have to work hard now to maintain my weight.

For the past few months I've gotten into a daily exercise habit and I have to say that I now enjoy it, even look forward to it. I have more energy too.

I agree, cutting back on dessert would be very helpful. We all have our weaknesses, mine is chips and salty foods. But, maybe two or three times a week you could induldge in dessert. You can do it!

Scoop said...

I really need a spell checker - "indulge" is how you spell the word that I misspelled twice.