Wednesday, August 26, 2009

2 posts in 1

There is so much going on in the life of us Kozlowskis that it is simply too much to go into. So, I will just post on 2 things that are on my mind right now and maybe at another time, I will post something else.

So, let me start with my darling son, Daniel!
As many know, Daniel was born with a congenital cataract in his left eye. This caused much pain in this mother's heart who wanted perfect babies...as any mother would. God dealt with me through this...in the grand scheme of things, a cataract is not that big.

Added to the cataract, his vision in that eye was very poor. There is a technical term for it, but I am not even going to attempt it. Basically, he has a lazy eye. This kind of sounds weird for me though as his eye does not look lazy...there has been no crossing in his 4 1/2 years.

Earlier this year, it became clear that his cataract had to be removed...it was growing as his eye grew and was placed near the center of his pupil. This involved removing his natural lens with the cataract and having a new, artificial lens put in. This is tricky for kids...especially as young as Daniel. The doctor has to guesstimate where his vision should be in the new lens...they make it pretty far sighted. This means that his near sight is bad and his glasses need to now be bi-focals. In the doctor visits since his surgery, his vision in that eye has worsened. We have to step up patching...which entails putting a patch over his "good" eye and making his "bad" eye work more.

We have been trying to patch since he was 1 year old...but it has been such a physical, emotional and mental battle. Daniel hates it. I am not sure I can blame him...imagine walking around for HOURS during the day with a large band-aid placed over one of your eyes. NOT FUN! I had to weigh the options of getting his eye stronger and dealing with an increasing anger Daniel was having towards us. So, for most of his infant and toddler years, we opted NOT to patch.

Now, I know we can reason with him. He still hates it, but there are so many options. We found these special patches you can order online called PatchPals. They fit over the glasses lens of the "good" eye. This takes away the discomfort of a big band-aid....not to mention it was right around $15 with shipping which, in the end, is much cheaper than buying boxes of patches.

Daniel still does not like wearing it, but it is not the battle it once was. He has been wearing his patch for close to 4 hours a day. He asks me constantly throughout the wearing time when he can finally take it off...but I will take the constant questions over the TERRIBLE fits of crying! I am a bit concerned cause he says he can't see when the patch is in and he has not adjusted to the bi-focal yet. His next appointment is October 30 and I am anxiously counting down the days, hours, minutes, seconds until we can talk to his doc.

On to the second post:

Today, we made a stop at the library. I am TERRIBLE with libraries...I end up with HIGH overdue fees and even seem to have lost a library book. I just cannot be trusted to check out books.

The library has a wonderful service called "Friends of the Library" where they take donated books and then turn around and sell them to us for SUPER CHEAP prices.

So, today Daniel and I went to the library for the sole purpose of skimming through their books for sale....and came home with a treasure trove.



Reading is very important to me. I was always called a book worm throughout my childhood and I understand the need for kids to read and try and give them a love of books.

Part of that is reading to my kids...yes, even my 10-year old. With Daniel, I will read to him before nap and again before bed. He gets really upset with me if I happen to be too busy or the night is too late. He treasures this time...and, let's face it, it does not get any better than laying in his bed with him...his head resting on my shoulder...as I read to him. It is the best feeling in the world and Daniel has got the love for books....in fact, I need to get on top of teaching him to read...he exhibits all the signs of one who is ready to learn.

With Sierra, it is also a SWEET, SWEET time. We pick a chapter book and I read a chapter or two. It is the same scenario as the above. I get in bed with her...she often puts her head on my shoulder. She gets very upset with me if it is too late or just can't. We have started reading the Limeny Snickett "Series of Unfortunate Events" together with the beginning of this school year. There is no better bonding time than sitting on your kid's bed as you read to them.

So, what fun it was to go to the library and get all those books in the above picture for just over $7. I found 2 of the Limeny Snickett books for $1 each!! In HARDBACK!! Granted, they are books 4 and 5 and we need 2 and 3, but.... Daniel got 4 books. I found Sierra a series of books that look really cool for 50 cents each...and a couple magazine for me (10 cents each). What a treasure!!

I need to go there more often!!!

Wow...is this too long. Well, since I do not blog often, I guess I am due!

5 comments:

ChrissyK said...

Ohhhhhh, Pigsty is a GREAT book. I LOVE it! I hope ya'll enjoy it as much as we do.

Scoop said...

What a struggle you have had with the eye patching thing. I think you were wise to not push it in the toddler years. I will pray for it to go well now.

I don't think I told you, but last summer when we returned home to Luanda, Sarah was horrified to discover we had accidentally brought a library book back from Houston! I called the library and they said to just bring it in the next time we were able. So we returned it a year later.

Kimberly said...

Library fines! Oh my! I'm still embarassed by some of my fines!

I think we have book 2 and 3! I debated on those books for my kids cause they were so negative, in the end, they checked them out of the library at school... a place I have no control. So I bought them so at least I could know what she was reading. I kinda liked them...

I used to read chapter books to my kids, but they asked me to stop. Emily realized she could read the books 3xs as fast by herself. Finding a book for all 4 was a challenge. We replaced that with Devotionals. Each kid reads their own books before bed. Sometimes I wonder if I "should have" taken the time to read aloud to everyone...
Glad you guys are doing it.

I'm so glad Daniel is wearing his eye patch!

Scoop said...

I agree with Kimberly, it is a struggle to have private reading time with each child. And to find a Devotional for all 3 when their ages are so far apart is also difficult.

So, here's what I do. In the mornings, I try to read a very short kids' devotional that all three listen to. At bedtime, read a Bible story to Kate, then read a short girls' devotion with Sarah. I read a devotion with Kyle every other night (the other nights he reads on his own). Sadly, I rarely read chapter books to them. Sarah still likes it, but I can only do so much.

Sandra Kozlowski said...

I have the advantage of having only 2 kids and their ages being so far apart that it isn't an issue. A picture book with Daniel twice a day that takes all of 2 minutes to read and than I spend about 10-15 with Sierra. lol