Monday, December 22, 2008

Scared!

So, I am sitting in my room waiting for laundry to dry and decide to see if there is anything on tv. Nope. I think...hey, I can watch a movie on my laptop with Netflix Instant Watch. So, I go to genres and think....hmmmmmm.....maybe a Romantic Comedy. I flip through the first couple pages of titles...not finding anything. Then I start getting into some raunchy titles. I am floored by the titles. Than I see some risque covers and start looking into what these are. One is an R movie about a GAY couple whose "religious" parents are coming for a visit and have no idea their son is gay...and than the other guy gets tempted into a relationship with this other "studly" guy.

WHOA!! I am not so naive to believe that these types of movies (and worse) are not made. What shocks me is how easily accessible they are!!! The covers themselves are nasty....loads with half naked women. Here I am with an almost 10 year old girl who is beginning to notice her body and comparing it to other girls.... Sierra is often on Netflix Instant Watch to see if there is something she might like to see. I got so excited earlier when I saw they had Kim Possible seasons...and Suite Life...innocent shows.

Now, I am disgusted. These movies are disgusting. It makes me fear the future of my kids....and their kids...and so on. Before searching, I came across Family Ties Season 1 was available to watch. I thought...cool. I watched the first episode and Alex Keaton loses his virginity. Dad sits across from him as Alex tells him how he thought he was in love (with this girl he had sex with just a day after meeting her). The dad explains that sex is not love and that he should know better. He does not explain how he should have WAITED. He talked about how he had rehearsed this talk with him several times. WHAT!?!! I was shocked. I had to instantly turn THAT off.

We laughed at those people who camped in caves with months worth of supplies when Y2K happened....but seeing this makes me want to sell everything and go live in a cave. Geeeez....

2 comments:

Debra Brinckley said...

I vote for a remote island off the coast of Figi. :)

Scoop said...

Or, you can sell everything and come live with us in our cave, err, compound.

That is one thing I love about being here - our kids are isolated from so much negative junk because it simply isn't available here.