Monday, February 14, 2011

Sad

It's sad, really, the things I see posted on facebook and blogs about other women's children. I often wonder...are they just writing prose and trying to be entertaining, or am I just incredibly lucky.

I am around so many women, both online and not, who constantly dog on their kids and their husbands...proclaiming anyone who does not is just lying, trying to make themselves better than they already are.

This is simply not true, or am I alone. I mean, I recently came across a blog that was titled something like "My Evil Daughter" or something along those lines. I could hardly believe it. Throughout her blog, she continually referred to her daughter as evil. This greatly saddened me.

I have been entertained lately reading the writings of a blogger who calls herself "The Meanest Mom". I find myself laughing as I read her writing...she is very witty. Tonight, though, I found myself shaking my head as I read her latest post about her kids ranting and all the comments of women talking about their kids. I scratch my head and wonder. Could this be true? Could this be right? Do moms really think this way about their kids?

And husbands. Oh how we women like to dog on our husbands. Get a group of women together and they will, undoubtedly start talking smack about their husbands...they're never home, they don't do any housework, they don't play with the kids, etc. Someone in my Sunday School class piped up this past Sunday about men not stepping up to the plate as spiritual heads of the household and I do believe that is true...more and more you are finding women take up that role. But, I wonder...how much of that is our creation. We hold our husbands to such low standards...we dog on them every chance we get...we don't expect "good behavior".

This is true of kids, I think. We label them...terrible twos, hormonal teens, rotten, or, one I hate, SIBLING RIVALRY. I hate labels. I never put those expectations on my children. I have never dreaded those "terrible twos" years...I always went along with both my kids each day like it was a new day.......and wonder of wonders, they were great. I never expected my kids to act bad towards each other because that is how brothers and sisters are. I laid down the expectations of love and respect and my kids truly love and respect each other. I hear so many tell me "wait until the teen years". I close my ears (mentally) and do the lalalalas (mentally). I will not speak that over my children.

And, sadly, when the topic of husbands comes up, I clamp my mouth shut. Not because I am trying to avoid saying something bad about my husband, but simply because there is nothing bad I can really say. Isn't it sad...I feel guilty about having a good husband. He DOES do dishes....he LOVES to play with the kids....he COOKS...he puts the toilet seat DOWN....etc. We do this thing called TALKING. Same with the kids...we TALK about things, behaviors.

Now, am I living in some kind of la la land...making believe my family is perfect? No. My family is not perfect. We deal with issues of attitude with our daughter as her emotions go up and down, but we deal with them calmly and use those as training for controlling those emotions. We deal with issues of my son being a pain with my daughter, but we deal with that in teaching our daughter how to properly handle an annoying situation while teaching our son to not be annoying. My husband can be annoying. He is a bit too goofy sometimes and can be spacey in tasks at hand, but I understand that a man's brain does not work the same as a woman's. There are ways to overcome with out nagging or having attitude.

My family is not perfect, but we get along. By reading so many different blogs, I wonder..are we alone?? Do all these women have "evil" children?? Is it a constant war in their homes?? Surely, these stories are for pure entertainment?? Surely, all women do not have loser husbands who only know how to pick their nose?

We need to build each other up, not tear each other down. Love each other.

That is all...

0 comments: